Frequently Asked Questions

Your Questions Answered

Public liability cover is there to protect you if someone is injured or their property is damaged and your business is faced with a compensation claim as a result. It can cover you at your business premises and also when you’re working at client sites or in public.

AIM’s limit is £5,000,000 – if you require a higher limit (some councils or schools ask for a higher limit) please inform us and we can quote for this.

Our cover is calculated based on your annual turnover, which is difficult to predict when starting out, but if you can’t provide this figure, please provide an estimate if you can.  We just need to know all the activities you intend to offer to ensure you are quoted correctly.  Please provide details of those  activities at height, and also any overseas work.

At AIM we would look at your turnover at renewal and make any adjustments to your contribution then.

Employers’ Liability cover is a legal requirement if you have employees, labour only freelance instructors or volunteers.  It safeguards businesses against legal and compensation expenses from employee claims. It’s a key type of protection, because if one of your employees falls ill or sustains an injury in the context of the work they do for you, you could be held liable.

AIM’s limit is £10,000,000 – if you require a higher limit please inform us and we can quote for this.

AIM asks for a breakdown of your wage roll to calculate your contribution and you will be asked to give an indication of the split of wage roll between instructors, catering and admin staff for example.

Risk assessments are used to manage risk in the workplace, to keep your employees and participants in your activities safe.

The minimum you must do:

  • identify what could cause injury or illness in your business (hazards)
  • decide how likely it is that someone could be harmed and how seriously (the risk)
  • take action to eliminate the hazard, or if this is not possible, control the risk

You must ensure your assessments are reviewed and version controlled as part of your risk management process.

We ask that you have an Acknowledgement of Risk Form that you ask participants to sign before taking part in your activities.

You must ensure you have a written child protection and vulnerable persons safeguarding policy in place and that you carry out the necessary DBS checks for employees. You must also check if the activities you are offering mean you need to obtain an AALA License (Adventure Activities Licensing Authority).

The Activity Centres (Young Persons’ Safety) Act 1995 and the Adventure Activities Licensing Authority make it a legal requirement for providers of certain adventure activities for young people to undergo an inspection of their safety management systems and to hold a licence.

Licensing only applies to those who offer activities to young people under the age of 18 years and who operate in a commercial manner.

Generally, licensing only applies to these activities when they are done in remote or isolated places. For example, climbing on natural terrain requires a licence but climbing on a purpose-built climbing wall does not.

Examples of Licensable activities include the following:

Climbing Water sports Trekking Caving
  • Rock climbing
  • Abseiling
  • Ice climbing
  • Gorge walking
  • Ghyll scrambling
  • Sea level traversing
  • Canoeing
  • Kayaking
  • Dragon boating
  • Wave skiing
  • White-water rafting
  • Improvised rafting
  • Sailing
  • Sailboarding
  • Windsurfing
  • Hill walking
  • Mountaineering
  • Fell running
  • Orienteering
  • Pony trekking
  • Off-road cycling
  • Off-piste skiing
  • Caving
  • Pot-holing
  • Mine exploration

This list is not exhaustive.

National Governing Bodies:  Our Underwriting team look at which activities are being offered and the level of NGB qualification required to deliver those activities.  It is a requirement that you can demonstrate that anyone delivering these activities have the recommended level in place.

AIM can provide property cover for your kit and equipment, we will need a detailed inventory of the equipment together with replacement values and details of storage.

If you hire out equipment to customers it is advisable to have a Conditions of Hire Form for users to sign.

We ask activity providers to complete a proposal form which can be found on the Request a Quote page of our website.   This proposal form enables our Underwriting team to form the basis of the quotation.  If you only need liability cover then please only complete this section of the form.  Our Underwriters will then be in touch with your tailored quotation and your options to proceed.

Your cover with AIM is an annual contract and can be paid by lump sum either by bank transfer or cheque or we offer an interest free 10 monthly instalments option by direct debit.

© Copyright - Activities Industry Mutual 2020
Activities Industry Mutual Limited is a company registered in England and Wales, No.5372198, Registered Office: 90 Fenchurch St, London EC3M 4ST and is managed by Thomas Miller Discretionary Mutual Management, a trading style of Building Lifeplans Limited. Activities Industry Mutual Limited (FRN: 451585) is an appointed representative of Building Lifeplans Limited, a company authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN: 311894) and registered in England, No. 3871048, Registered Office: 90 Fenchurch Street, London EC3M 4ST. - Enfold WordPress Theme by Kriesi